People often call the WCBA when a swarm of honeybees enters their lives. We have many members who are willing and able to remove swarms.
How you can help:
When bees swarm, time is of the essence. A swarm in the open is relatively easy to catch, but will only stay in the open several hours before finding a refuge. Once they find a defensible nesting site – inside a tree, wall or attic – capture is much more difficult. Have answers to the following questions when you call:
- WHO: Please provide your name, address and telephone number!
- WHAT: Are you sure they’re honeybees? Take a photo of the swarm with your cell phone and send it to the person you call!
- WHEN: How long have the bees been in their present location?
- WHERE: What is the address where they are located? Are they on your property? If not, whose property are they on? If we can’t find you, we can’t collect the swarm!
- HOW MANY: What size is the swarm ball – like a softball? basketball? beachball?
- HOW HIGH: How high off the ground are they? Are they in a tree or bush? Can the tree or shrub limb be cut if necessary?
The WCBA has divided the county into five response zones, shown on this 2018 map , each with its own coordinator. Please contact the appropriate coordinator for your area, listed below:
|Zone||Zone Captain||Phone 1||Phone 2|
|Zone 1 – northern Wake||Joe Reynolds or Sean Conlon||(919) 771-4894 or (919) 749-1557|
|Zone 2 – western Wake||Tom Krupa orJustin Wahrenburg||(919) 600-9636 or(919) 618-4586|
|Zone 3 – southern Wake||Justin Wahrenburg or Chris Hagwood||(919) 618-4586 or (919) 369-0892|
|Zone 4 – eastern Wake||Uli Gratzl orRicky Barbour||(919) 412-1914 or(919) 369-4975|
|Zone 5 – Raleigh, inside the beltline||Al Pleasants orJoe Dorman||(919) 210-3755 or(919) 673-1690|
A map with the zones and captain contacts is available here: 2017 swarm zone map
Bees in structures, all zones:
|Mike Childers||(919) 368-5865|
|Larry Hall||(919) 612-4499|
Please note that if a swarm of bees has taken up residence inside an attic or wall, there may be significant costs involved in repairing damage from removal & cleanup. If the swarm is inside a structure, call one of the contacts who specialize in swarm removal from buildings.